The band last month announced an October run of 11 European concerts — including four nights in London and a pair of shows in Dublin — at which it will perform the 15-track album front-to-back, plus dip into the record’s assorted B-sides.
Frank Black tells Spin the band will bring the Doolittle tour to Oakland, Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, Chicago, Boston, Washington D.C., New York City and “maybe Montreal” following the European leg. Dates have not yet been announced.
“I believe we’re doing the Wang Center in Boston,” he tells Spin, referring to the 3,600-capacity venue in his former hometown.
Dormant since the end of their 2004-2007 reunion, the Pixies re-emerged earlier this month to play a series of European festival dates and several invite-only concerts. The band also is releasing an enormous — in both price and physical girth — box set called Minotaur in September.
In a statement announcing the European Doolittle concerts, the Pixies’ frontman said: “We wanted to do something special for Doolittle’s 20th anniversary, and we thought his was a good opportunity to play all of the songs from that album, something we don’t normally do at a regular gig.”
Spin reports that he noted 2010 will mark the 20th anniversary of the band’s Bossanova, “and he didn’t dismiss the idea of performing that album’s songs back-to-back, too.”
“We don’t want to get blood out of a stone or anything. It’s not like we’re seeking offers — but the phone just always rings,” he tells Spin.
Video: Pixies, “Hey,” Isle of Wight Festival, UK, 6/14/09
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Tour dates: Pixies to play ‘Doolittle’ at 20th anniversary concerts in Europe
- Pixies’ Black Francis plots solo-acoustic shows, Grand Duchy dates this summer
- Pixies roar back to life with Stockholm, Isle of Wight gigs, plus ‘Minotaur’ box set
- Pixies reissuing all of their studio albums in deluxe ‘Minotaur’ box sets
- Pixies add more European festival dates; ‘big annoucement’ due Monday
- Pixies’ Black Francis teams up with wife for Grand Duchy album, warm-up tour
- Pixies reunion back on again; band playing Isle of Wight, European concerts