Here’s a real gem: The LA Weekly yesterday pointed out a trio of Depeche Mode home videos just uploaded to YouTube that capture the synthpop giants before, during and after their appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards on the Universal Studios lot in Hollywood on Sept. 9, 1988.
Filmed by bandmember Alan Wilder and road manager Daryl Bamonte, the three clips show DM leaving their hotel (check out the trio of fans encamped across the street), jamming on a hilarious cover of Europe’s ‘The Final Countdown” in their trailer, playing parking-lot cricket with brooms, being interviewed by MTV’s Kurt Loder and watching, from the audience, performances by the Fat Boys with Chubby Checker (!?!) and Guns N’ Roses (who prompt Dave Gahan to engage in some choice air-guitaring and tongue wagging).
Unfortunately, the video doesn’t actually show the band’s performance of “Strangelove,” but, still, there are plenty of great, candid moments. You can watch all three clips strung together in the playlist above, or see them individually at Slicing Up Video.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Grammy shut out: Depeche Mode, U2, Pet Shop Boys denied awards
- Video: Depeche Mode’s Alan Wilder on ‘The Posters Came From the Walls’
- Martin Gore of Depeche Mode subpoenaed in ‘World of Warcraft’ lawsuit
- Depeche Mode to release ‘Fragile Tension,’ ‘Hole to Feed’ as double A-side single
- Depeche Mode’s ‘Peace’: Fans petition band for release of single on 12-inch vinyl
- Nitzer Ebb to open Depeche Mode’s European concerts in January and February
- Video: Did Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan really thank Chile while performing in Peru?
- Setlist, video: Depeche Mode preview Tour of the Universe in Luxembourg