Sonic Youth’s Thurston Moore today took to his new blog — Flowers & Cream, which he quietly launched earlier this month — to announce a pair of intriguing musical projects: a new solo album and book, plus a “trio” record with wife/bandmate Kim Gordon and Yoko Ono.
First, in a post titled “mirror/dash ono,” Thurston wrote, “kim and i will be recording a trio LP w/ yoko this year,” adding the cryptic punchline: “with blindfolds.” Minutes later, in an entry labeled “in silver rain with a paper key,” he announced, “new solo lp/book this fall.” Neither entry had any further details.
The news emerges just two days after Moore and Gordon performed with One at an all-star tribute called “We Are Plastic Ono Band” in Brooklyn. As for a new Moore solo album, it would be his first since 2007’s Trees Outside the Academy.
The new projects come on top of what already looks to be a busy year for Sonic Youth. In December, Lee Ranaldo said SY is planning to both record a follow-up to last year’s The Eternal and release a live DVD of the group performing 1988’s classic Daydream Nation. Plus there’s talk of recording the soundtrack to an unnamed “French teen film.”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Sonic Youth, The Breeders, Mudhoney, Stooges set for All Tomorrow’s Parties NY
- Video: Preview of Sonic Youth on Bravo! Canada’s ‘Innovators in Music’
- Sonic Youth planning new studio album, ‘Daydream Nation’ live DVD in 2010
- Video: Sonic Youth performs ‘EVOL’ classic ‘Starpower’ on ‘Gossip Girl’
- Sonic Youth’s Lee Ranaldo fractures wrist playing tennis, band reschedules tour
- Beck covering ‘EVOL’ on cassette for forthcoming Sonic Youth box set