Beginning today, fans of The Cure will be able to bid on a double-vinyl edition of the new Disintegration reissue signed by Robert Smith that’s being auctioned off to help raise money for the West Memphis 3 legal defense fund. The three men — Damien Echols, Jason Baldwin and Jessie Misskelley Jr. were convicted of killing three elementary school children in 1994. Since then, proponents argue, DNA has exonerated the trio, and each is fighting for a new trial. Smith, in a statement posted to the Cure’s site, writes, “Please bid generously and help free the West Memphis 3 — this grotesque miscarriage of justice has dragged on for 17 years too long.” Bidding starts at $100, and the auction runs here today through Oct. 7.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Download: The Cure’s second 1990 ‘Cure FM’ pirate-radio broadcast for ‘Mixed Up’
- Milestones: Robert Smith’s ‘Cure FM’ pirate radio broadcast 20 years ago tonight
- Lol Tolhurst: The Cure’s Robert Smith at work on ‘Mixed Up,’ BBC sets
- Vintage Video: The Cure on ‘That Was Then… This Is Now,’ 1988 documentary
- Slicing Up Eyeballs readers poll: The Cure’s Top 98 songs of all time
- Review: The Cure’s ‘Disintegration: Deluxe Edition’ expanded 3CD reissue