Fans of The Cure’s iconic Disintegration album will have a chance next month to purchase a one-of-a-kind memento of the 1989 record: A set of lyrics to the opening track “Plainsong” — handwritten and autographed by Robert Smith earlier this year — will be included in the “Art of the Song” auction on Dec. 15, a fundraiser for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
Smith’s contribution to the auction is a lyric sheet with the words written out in black felt pen and then re-written above in black ink, mounted alongside a Disintegration: Deluxe Edition promo poster and framed. Both are autographed by Smith. Bonhams auction house estimates the item will sell for £500 to £700 (or about $790 to $1,107).
The lyric sheet is Smith’s second recent contribution to a charity auction; in September, he provided a signed vinyl copy of Disintegration to be auctioned off in support of the West Memphis 3 legal defense fund. The item fetched $2,250.
For more information on the “Plainsong” lyric sheets, see the listing.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Cure’s expanded ‘Entreat Plus’ live album to be released on vinyl in January
- Milestones: The Cure’s Porl Thompson is 53; watch ‘Edge of the Deep Green Sea’
- Steven Severin: Robert Smith says ‘it’s just a matter of time’ until 2nd Glove album
- Download: Crystal Castles featuring Robert Smith of The Cure, ‘Not In Love’
- Robert Smith donates signed ‘Disintegration’ LP to West Memphis 3 defense fund
- Milestones: Robert Smith’s ‘Cure FM’ pirate radio broadcast 20 years ago tonight