Reuniting as Dalis Car for the first time in 26 years last fall, Peter Murphy and an ailing Mick Karn were able to record and complete four new songs before the former Japan bassist succumbed to cancer this past January — music that will be released as the Dalis Car 2 EP later this year.
According to Karn’s website, “The duo were reunited in a studio in Oxford at the end of September last year to begin work and four tracks were completed over the ensuing months — a slow process due to Mick’s declining health.” Additionally, former Japan drummer Steve Jansen’s website reports he now has finished mixing the four songs, which “are pending release later in the year.”
Murphy — currently on tour with a new album, Ninth, out this June — shocked fans late last summer by announcing plans to reunite Dalis Car with Karn to record a follow-up to 1984’s one-off album The Waking Hour. In a brief update on his now-deleted personal Facebook page in September, Murphy confirmed the sessions would also feature original Dalis Car drummer Paul Lawford: “All’s well that starts well,” Murphy wrote at the time.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Stream: Peter Murphy, ‘I Spit Roses,’ first single off upcoming ‘Ninth’ album
- Peter Murphy to release ‘Ninth’ album in June, finalizes 29-date U.S. tour
- Mick Karn, bassist with Japan and Dalis Car with Peter Murphy, 1958-2011
- Peter Murphy: Dalis Car sessions begin next week, ‘Ninth’ solo album out ’soon’
- Bauhaus’ Peter Murphy, Japan’s Mick Karn reuniting for second Dalis Car album