The mighty Dinosaur Jr is back in the recording studio, working on its follow-up to 2009’s Farm — and the original lineup’s third effort since reuniting — according to bassist Lou Barlow’s daily Twitter account of the sessions, which includes an apparent admonition from the band’s management to “stop tweeting.”
Barlow’s updates — via @TheLouBarlow, and posted below — began last Thursday (“got a bass sound… start jamming tomorrow”), continuing each day with accounts of endless run-throughs (“did 20+ takes of song #1, none a keeper but j says o.k.”) and his efforts to get the band to learn his songs (“suggest learning one of my songs, murf says ‘meh..”).
There also are references to what appears to be a new J Mascis solo album (“j mixes jam psych muzak solo lp”) and an apparent attempt by Dinosaur Jr’s managers to curb Barlow’s tweeting (dino mgmt email says stop tweeting? ha!”).
Barlow also has been busy of late preparing a new multiformat reissue of Weed Forestin, which he originally released on cassette in 1987 under the Sentridoh name while still in Dinosaur Jr. The newly remastered, 23-track album is available for pre-order in digital, vinyl, cassette and CD-R formats, plus a deluxe LP/cassette/USB package that includes a cassette copy of the bonus collection Child of the Apocalypse.
For a full rundown of the formats, to pre-order and to sample a remastered version of “Temporary Dream,” head over to Sentriodh’s Bandcamp page.
dino jr new lp day 1: drew viking ships and googled Thor pics with rory (j’s son) .. got a bass sound.. start jamming tomorrow
— Lou Barlow (@TheLouBarlow) February 2, 2012
dino jr new lp day 2: ate a White Hut cheezburger when i coulda had a crepe.. did 20+ takes of song #1 , none a keeper but j says o.k.
— Lou Barlow (@TheLouBarlow) February 3, 2012
dino jr new lp day 3: more song #1, no keeper : murph wants a day offbut song #2 revitalizes him!- dino mgmt email says stop tweeting? ha!
— Lou Barlow (@TheLouBarlow) February 4, 2012
dino jr new lp day 4: song #3! too fast to turgid to J almost saying it’s good-murf powers thru injuries- j mixes jam psych muzak solo lp
— Lou Barlow (@TheLouBarlow) February 5, 2012
dino jr new lp day 5:song #4! J flirts with sampling, settles on a live take, a keeper?? suggest learning one of my songs, murf says ‘meh..
— Lou Barlow (@TheLouBarlow) February 6, 2012
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Dinosaur Jr to release ‘Bug Live at 9:30 Club: In the Hands of Fans’ on DVD, Blu-ray
- Stream: ‘Lost’ Deep Wound practice tape from 1983 — featuring J Mascis, Lou Barlow
- Dinosaur Jr to reissue 1st three albums in cassette box set — plus bonus Sebadoh tape
- Dinosaur Jr takes ‘Bug’ tour, Henry Rollins to West Coast for 6 shows this December
- Stream: Dinosaur Jr, ‘I’ve Been Waiting For You’ — unreleased Neil Young cover (1988)
- Dinosaur Jr to reissue ‘Dinosaur,’ ‘You’re Living All Over Me,’ ‘Bug’ on vinyl
- Dinosaur Jr reissuing 1988′s ‘Bug’ on purple cassette for upcoming full-album tour
- Stream: Hear J Mascis’ ‘Several Shades of Why’ in its entirety