The Cure’s now a few day into a month-long break in its summer festival tour, and frontman Robert Smith says the band will use the time to record with new guitarist Reeves Gabrels for the first time — plus, he claims, the long-promised Mixed Up 2 will come out before Christmas with new remixes by the likes of Mogwai and Cranes.
In a series of videos collected by fansite Chain of Flowers, Smith discusses his band’s plans at a post-show press conference Friday following an appearance at France’s Vieilles Charrues festival. Smith says: “We’ve got a month off between now and the next festival in Vienna, in Austria, and we will be recording. The Cure, as a band, with this lineup, will record for the first time.”
“There will be a Mixed Up 2 album coming out, probably this side of Christmas. Mixed Up 2. I’ve given songs to groups I really love, like Mogwai, Cranes and some other people. I thought the best thing to do would be to have some new remasters, but rather than by producers, I think that having groups that you love remix your songs is a much more interesting idea than producers remixing your songs. So Mixed Up 2 will be our favorite bands remixing Cure songs. It’s good. It’ll be this Christmas. Mogwai are doing ‘Faith.’ So good. It’ll be really good. Cure fans will love it.”
Now, longtime Cure fans know to be skeptical of nearly anything Smith says. In fact, the Mixed Up 2 album was first revealed by Smith in 2009, along with a The Cure @ The BBC box set and DVD releases of the concert films “In Orange” and “Show,” while announcing plans for the Disintegration 3CD reissue. Of those, only the Disintegration re-release has seen the light of day. Furthermore, there’s still no word of an expected 20th anniversary reissue of Wish this year.
With this in mind, Chain of Flowers queried Cure keyboardist Roger O’Donnell on Twitter, who cast doubt on new recording sessions (“hahahahahahahahahaha might be a little difficult as we are all going on holiday!”) and noted Smith can’t be trusted (“How many times does he have to tell you never to believe a word he says?”). Yet Mogwai’s Stuart Braithwaite did confirm to Chain of Flowers that his band is remixing “Faith” (“we are going to. it’s not done yet though. Can’t wait!”).
Check out some of that press conference below:
VIDEO: Robert Smith on recording with new lineup
VIDEO: Robert Smith on recording process
VIDEO: Robert Smith on Mixed Up 2
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Robert Smith: The Cure to mount first-ever full South American tour next year
- Video: The Cure’s Robert Smith plays rare solo set at Bilbao BBK Live — plus full webcast
- Video: The Cure at Belgium’s Rock Werchter 2012 festival — watch full hour-long webcast
- Video: The Cure at Germany’s Southside Festival — watch full 70-minute webcast
- Video: The Cure plays ‘The Top’ for first time in 28 years at Sweden’s Hultsfred Festival
- Stream: The Cure’s first American concert — newly discovered tape of Cherry Hill, NJ, 1980
- Video: The Cure at Primavera Sound — full webcast, plus rarities (‘Just One Kiss,’ ‘Fight’)
- Video: The Cure debuts guitarist Reeves Gabrels, digs out rarities at Pinkpop Festival