The Pet Shop Boys have recorded a cover of the Bee Gees’ 1968 hit single “I Started A Joke” in tribute to the late Robin Gibb — the band co-founder who died in May at age 62 — and will include it as a B-side to the duo’s upcoming single “Winner,” the first to be released off the forthcoming new album Elysium.
The single, due out Aug. 6 in the U.K. on CD and digitally, will feature three new B-sides, according to the Pet Shop Boys’ website. In addition to the Bee Gees cover, “Winner” also will be backed by “A Certain ‘Je Ne Sais Quoi,'” a song originally recorded in 2007 and recently reworked, and “The Way Through the Woods (Long Verison),” a track based on a Rudyard Kipling poem recorded during the Elysium sessions that Chris Lowe and Neil Tennant recently reworked and extended.”
A second digital bundle will feature remixes of “Winner” by John Dahlback, Niki and The Dove, and more. Elysium is due out Sept. 18.
Plus, PSB today released a new roller derby-themed video for “Winner,” which you can see below.
Tracklist: Pet Shop Boys, “Winner”
2. “A Certain ‘Je Ne Sais Quoi'”
3. “The Way Through the Woods (Long Version)”
4. “I Started a Joke”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Stream: Pet Shop Boys, ‘Winner’ — first single off upcoming album ‘Elysium’
- Pet Shop Boys announce new album ‘Elysium’ — listen to new track ‘Invisible’
- Pet Shop Boys to release ‘Format’ B-sides comp, spanning 1996-2009, in February
- Pet Shop Boys to release ‘The Most Incredible Thing’ 2CD ballet score next month
- Pet Shop Boys announce ‘Ultimate’ tracklisting, record new single ‘Together’