For our latest installment of Vintage Video we turn back to 1987 with this 38-minute reel of rare behind-the-scenes footage of The Cure during the making of its classic video for “Just Like Heaven.” As the indispensable Chain of Flowers points out, this French-produced footage was posted to Vimeo by director Tim Pope. The first 18½ minutes is an interview with Robert Smith, in which he talks about working with his wife, Mary, in the video, among other things. After that, it’s all footage of the band actually filming the future MTV staple.
And if you haven’t seen the actual video in a while, it’s posted below.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Robert Smith: The Cure to record with new lineup, enlist Mogwai, Cranes for ‘Mixed Up 2’
- Robert Smith: The Cure to mount first-ever full South American tour next year
- Video: The Cure’s Robert Smith plays rare solo set at Bilbao BBK Live — plus full webcast
- Video: The Cure at Belgium’s Rock Werchter 2012 festival — watch full hour-long webcast
- Video: The Cure at Germany’s Southside Festival — watch full 70-minute webcast
- Video: The Cure plays ‘The Top’ for first time in 28 years at Sweden’s Hultsfred Festival
- Stream: The Cure’s first American concert — newly discovered tape of Cherry Hill, NJ, 1980
- Video: The Cure at Primavera Sound — full webcast, plus rarities (‘Just One Kiss,’ ‘Fight’)
- Video: The Cure debuts guitarist Reeves Gabrels, digs out rarities at Pinkpop Festival