The audiophile reissue of XTC’s fourth album, 1980’s Black Sea, is due out Nov. 10, and will include new 5.1 Surround, stereo and and high-resolution stereo mixes of the record by Porcupine Tree frontman Steven Wilson, plus demos, instrumentals and music videos.
The CD/Blu-ray reissue is available for pre-order now via Burning Shed, which will include an exclusive postcard signed by XTC’s Terry Chambers with all advance orders.
Great news. XTC BLACK SEA 5.1 set can be pre-ordered here for a November 10th release. Don’t miss out divers.https://t.co/vsLcruHMDv
— XTC (@xtcfans) September 25, 2017
The set will include a CD featuring a 2017 stereo mix of the album by Wilson with bonus tracks, many of which feature Wilson mixes, plus a Blu-ray disc with a 5.1 Surround mix in 24bit/96khz mixed from the original multi-track tapes available in LPCM and DTS HD MA.
The discs will come in special packaging with sleevenotes by XTC’s Chambers, Andy Partridge, Colin Moulding and Dave Gregory, plus producer Hugh Padgham.
- Additional bonus material on the Blu-ray includes:
- The 2017 stereo album mix in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio
- Additional songs from the album sessions in stereo and 5.1 (several featuring 2017 Wilson mixes)
- The original stereo album mix in hi-res stereo + bonus tracks
- Instrumental versions (mixed by Wilson), and several bonus mixes in 24bit/96khz LPCM audio
- Many album tracks in demo form as recorded at Phonogram Studios prior to album sessions
- Three Partridge demos from Phonogram studios and three demos from Swindon Town Hall
- Promo films for “Towers Of London,” “Generals & Majors” and “Respectable Street”
Released in 1980 when Chambers was still in the band, XTC’s Black Sea spawned four singles: “Generals and Majors,” “Towers of London,” “Sgt. Rock (Is Going to Help Me)” and “Respectable Street.”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- XTC documentary ‘This Is Pop’ to air on UK’s Sky Arts in October — watch 6-minute trailer
- XTC’s ‘Black Sea’ being prepped for reissue with new stereo, surround mixes
- Vintage Video: ‘Drums and Wires’-era XTC live performance captured by French TV
- XTC’s ‘Drums and Wires’ audiophile reissue to include new 5.1 mix, demos, rehearsal tracks
- Reissue of XTC’s ‘Skylarking’ with ‘corrected polarity’ finally coming to CD