Paisley Underground-era rockers The Dream Syndicate in May will release their second album since reuniting, a 10-song collection that’s preceded by the hypnotic single “Black Light” — hear it below — and will be followed by a string of concerts in the eastern U.S.
The album, titled These Times, is due out May 3 via ANTI- Records, and can be pre-ordered now in a variety of bundles — some with T-shirts and sleep masks, of all things — via the label’s web store.
Steve Wynn put The Dream Syndicate back together in 2012, enlisting original drummer Dennis Duck, bassist Mark Walton (who came on board after 1984’s Medicine Show) and guitarist Jason Victor. They released their first album in 29 years in 2017, titled How Did I Find Myself Here?
The band also recently participated in the Paisley Underground cover-eachother project 3×4 alongside The Bangles, The Three O’Clock and Rain Parade, recording new versions of The Bangles’ “Hero Takes a Fall,” Rain Parade’s “You Are My Friend” and “She Turns to Flowers” by lesser-known Paisley Underground act Salvation Army. That collection was released on Record Store Day Black Friday last year on limited-edition vinyl, but gets a wider multi-format release on Friday.
To mark the release of These Times, Wynn and Co. will hit the road, playing eight concerts in May on the East Coast and in the Midwest. It’s not year clear whether more will be added.
Below, hear the new single, check out the full tracklist and cover art, and see those tour dates.
The Dream Syndicate, These Times
1. “The Way In”
2. “Put Some Miles On”
3. “Black Light”
4. “Bullet Holes”
5. “Still Here Now”
7. “Recovery Mode”
8. “The Whole World’s Watching”
10. “Space Age”
11. “Treading Water Underneath the Stars”
The Dream Syndicate tour dates
May 10: U Street Music Hall, Washington. D.C.
May 11: Sellersville Theater, Philadelphia, PA
May 16: Mercury Lounge, New York, NY
May 17: Mercury Lounge, New York, NY
May 18: Once, Somerville, MA
May 30: Collectivo, Milwaukee, WI
May 31: The Hideout, Chicago, IL
June 1: The Hideout, Chicago, IL
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Kendra Smith to reunite with The Dream Syndicate onstage in California next week
- The Dream Syndicate debuts new song ‘Glide,’ announces December tour of U.S.
- Listen: The Dream Syndicate debuts 11-minute title track to ‘How Did I Find Myself Here?’
- Q&A: Steve Wynn on The Dream Syndicate’s first new album in nearly 30 years
- Dream Syndicate puts vinyl release of 1988 live set up to a vote via Run Out Groove
- Dream Syndicate’s 1st new album in 29 years to feature Kendra Smith singing ‘perfect coda’