Morrissey this week announced he’ll release a new album of cover songs in May, a collection called California Son that will include songs by Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, Phil Ochs, Jobraith and more — with members of Green Day, Grizzly Bear and Young the Giant guesting.
The 12-song collection is due out May 24 on BMG, and is being marketed by the singer’s publicists as a “bridge between space, time and rock music’s past, present and future.”
The album — which does not include Moz’s recent cover of The Pretenders’ “Back on the Chain Gang” — is preceded by his cover of Roy Orbison’s “It’s Over,” featuring an appearance by singer-songwriter LP.
Hear that below, and see the full tracklist.
Morrissey, California Son
1. “Morning Starship” (Jobriath) with Ed Droste of Grizzly Bear
2. “Don’t Interrupt The Sorrow” (Joni Mitchell) with Ariel Engle of Broken Social Scene
3. “Only a Pawn In Their Game” (Bob Dylan) with Petra Haden
4. “Suffer the Little Children” (Buffy St Marie)
5. “Days of Decision” (Phil Ochs) with Sameer Gadhia of Young The Giant
6. “It’s Over” (Roy Orbison) with LP
7. “Wedding Bell Blues” (Fifth Dimension) with Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day & Lydia Night of Regrettes
8. “Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets” (Dionne Warwick)
9. “Lady Willpower” (Gary Puckett)
10. “When You Close Your Eyes” (Carly Simon) with Petra Haden
11. “Lenny’s Tune” (Tim Hardin)
12. “Some Say I Got Devil” (Melanie)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Morrissey abandons his boycott of Canada, imposes 8-date tour on peaceful nation
- Morrissey cancels Boston concert as another U.S. tour comes to an ignominious end
- Morrissey performs The Smiths’ ‘I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish’ for first time ever
- Watch: Morrissey debuts new songs, covers The Pretenders in 55-minute set for BBC
- Morrissey announces new album ‘Low in High-School,’ plus Hollywood Bowl concert
- The absolute best of The Smiths: All 70 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers