We’re back with the fifth installment of our ongoing readers poll series, bowing to popular demand that we ask you, the readers of Slicing Up Eyeballs, to help us rank every song released by New Order over the pioneering electronic-rock group’s 37-year lifespan, from its emergence out of the ashes of Joy Division to its current post-Peter Hook incarnation.
By our count, New Order has released 157 studio-recorded songs since 1981, and we’re asking you to select your favorites from that list so that we may assemble a definitive ranking, like we’ve done already with the oeuvres of The Cure, The Smiths, R.E.M. and Depeche Mode.
VOTING: Below you’ll find a ballot listing all 157 songs released by New Order. What’s not included are live tracks, re-recordings, demos and the (most of) the astonishing number of remixes released over the years.
You’re welcome to vote for as many as 25 of your favorite songs released by New Order.
A few notes on all this:
- We’re fairly confident that our list of 157 songs is comprehensive, but if there are any missing, there is a write-in option at the bottom of the poll. You can also email firstname.lastname@example.org to alert us to any omissions, or if you’ve got any questions about song eligibility beyond the rules described above.
- As mentioned, we are generally not differentiating between the various remixes of a given song. It would only split the vote. That being said, we have included songs that are essentially remixes, yet bear distinct song titles, such as “The Beach” or “The Kiss of Death,” as opposed to, say, “True Faith” (This is a Remix Remix). Those re-titled mixes seem a bit more prominent, and this allows us to acknowledge the band’s remix legacy without swamping the poll with the infinite variations of “Blue Monday.”
- The songs are listed in strict alphabetical order, meaning “The Perfect Kiss” will be in the T’s, not P’s.
- While you can vote for up to 25 songs, they all will be weighed equally when the results are tallied. But if you’d like to share your ranked Top 25 lists with the rest of the Slicing Up Eyeballs readers, feel free to drop them in the comments below, and make your case.
DEADLINE: Voting ends 5 p.m. EST Friday, Nov. 17, and results will be posted by the end of the month.
Sound good? Then vote away.
(If you have any difficulty using the webform below, go directly to Polldaddy to vote: poll.fm/5vidd)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- New Order announces settlement of long-running legal disputes with Peter Hook
- ‘Holy grail’ recording surfaces of New Order’s scorching ’83 gig at Chicago’s Cabaret Metro
- Peter Hook to bring Joy Division/New Order ‘Substance’ tour back to North America
- Watch: New Order digs deep at opening of 5-night Manchester run with synth orchestra
- Watch: New Order closes Coachella main set with a glorious 9-minute ‘Temptation’