It’s taken nearly three years, but we’re finally ready to resume the Best of the ’80s Redux, the series of polls of Slicing Up Eyeballs readers to determine the best songs of each year of the 1980s that followed up our wildly popular best-albums-of-the-’80s series.
The Best of the ’80s Redux polls covered 1980 and 1981 before fizzling out (the whole site ultimately went on hiatus for almost two years). But unfinished business is unfinished business, and it’s time to pick up where we left off, which means you now get to vote for your 25 favorite songs from the year 1982.
VOTING: For the album polls (and our more recent artist discography polls), we presented you with a list, sometimes hundreds of titles long, to choose from, plus the ability to offer write-ins. We inevitably missed titles, and some argued this skewed the results. So this time, it’s a (mostly) free-for-all. You may vote for any songs you’d like — singles, B-sides, album cuts, etc. It’s all fill-in-the-blanks this time, not multiple choice.
A few important things to note:
- To be eligible, songs must have been released in some format — whether it be on an album, EP or a single — for the first time during the year 1982. That means, for example, that a song that’s released as a single in 1983 will be eligible for the 1982 poll if it first appeared on an album released in 1982. Splitting hairs? Sure, but we have to draw the line somewhere.
- With the album polls, acknowledging the theme of this website, we limited voting to artists that fall under the very loose and ill-defined “alternative” banner, generally acts from the punk, post-punk, goth, college rock, indie, synthpop, industrial, New Wave and related genres. Not the case anymore — although that’s still likely how the results will skew. For the song polls, vote for whatever you want.
- Well, there is one limit. To prevent one-note fans from, say, simply listing every track off Thriller, you may only vote for a maximum of two songs by the same artist when filling out your Top 25. Any ballots submitted with more than two songs by the same artist will be disqualified.
DEADLINE: Voting will be open through 5 p.m. ET Friday, Jan. 26, and results will be posted within a week or two — after which we’ll launch the 1983 poll and take it from there.
Sound good? Then vote away via the survey widget posted below.
And because there’s not a pre-set list to choose from, we encourage you to lobby for your picks, and maybe sway some votes, in the comments below.
Finally, if you’re drawing a blank on what came out that year, take a look back at our Top 100 albums of 1982 poll results, or check out these other resources:
- Songfacts: Songs released in 1982
- Billboard’s Top 100 songs of 1982
- NME’s albums and tracks of the year: 1982
- Wikipedia: 1982 singles
- KROQ’s Top 106.7 songs of 1982
- CFNY’s Top 81 of 1982
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Top 100 Songs of 1981: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s Redux — Part 2
- Top 100 Songs of 1980: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s Redux — Part 1
- Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the 1980s: The Top 100 albums from 1980-1989