Photo by Alex Lovell-Smith
New Zealand indie-pop legends The Chills — the Martin Phillipps-led group that long has carried the banner for the Dunedin sound — will return in September with a new album titled Snow Bound, and you can already get an earful of two songs off new record.
The album, the band’s first in three years and sixth overall, is due out Sept. 14 via Fire Records, and can be pre-ordered now through the label on CD and standard or colored vinyl pressings.
In press materials announcing the album’s release, Phillipps calls Snow Bound a record about “consolidation, re-grouping, acceptance and mortality,” then adds, “Hopefully (it has) a kind of Carole King Tapestry for ageing punks.” The LP is the second for Fire Records following a 19-year gap between albums.
Below, check out two songs off the new record — “Complex” and “Lord of All I Survey” — and see itinerary for The Chills’ upcoming 14-date tour of New Zealand.
The Chills tour dates:
Sept. 14: Altitude, Hamilton, NZ
Sept. 15: The Dome, Gisborne, NZ
Sept. 16: Haumoana Hall, Hawke’s Bay, NZ
Sept. 20: Blue Smoke, CHCH, NZ
Sept. 21: 50 Gorillas, Dunedin, NZ
Sept. 22: Water Bar, Wanaka, NZ
Sept. 27: San Fran, Wellington, NZ
Sept. 28: Mayfair Theatre, New Plymouth, NZ
Sept. 29: The Globe, Palmerston North, NZ
Sept. 30: St Peter’s Hall, Paekakariki, NZ
Oct. 4: Butter Factory, Whangarei, NZ
Oct. 5: Sawmill Cafe, Leigh, NZ
Oct. 6: Galatos, Auckland, NZ
Oct. 7: Artworks, Waiheke Island, NZ
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Peter Gutteridge, of The Clean, The Chills, Snapper and more, 1961-2014
- Premiere: The Chills, ‘Somewhere Beautiful’ — stream indie-pop legends’ new live album
- The Chills to release triple LP live set ‘Somewhere Beautiful’ this fall
- Stream: The Chills, ‘Molten Gold’ — first new song in nearly a decade
- The Chills to play 30th anniversary concert in New Zealand, release special live album