If you’ve been listening to the new all-star remake of The Mission’s 1988 anthem “Tower of Strength” and trying to figure out exactly who sings what and who played which instrumental parts, it’s all spelled out in this new lyric video released today.
As you can see here, the new video for ReMission International’s “TOS2020” credits each individual part, from the rhythm loops by Kevin Haskins and Lol Tolhurst that open the track to the parade of guitar solos that end the nearly 10-minute Beholden To the Front-Line Workers of the World Mix.
Wayne Hussey enlisted current and former members of The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Cult, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus and The Smiths for the song, proceeds from which benefit front line workers during the COVID pandemic. The single is out digitally now, and will be released on physical media — gold-colored 12-inch vinyl and CD — on Oct. 2.
Contributors include The Cure co-founder Lol Tolhurst, Depeche Mode’s Martin Gore, Gary Numan, Andy Rourke of The Smiths, All About Eve’s Julianne Regan, Midge Ure, Budgie of Siouxsie and the Banshees and The Creatures, The Cult’s Billy Duffy, Kevin Haskins of Bauhaus, Tones on Tail and Love and Rockets, Slowdive’s Rachel Goswell, Richard Fortus and Robin Finck of Guns N’ Roses, The Wonder Stuff’s Miles Hunt and more — plus a reunion of Gene Loves Jezebel’s Jay and Michael Aston.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Watch: Video for all-star remake of The Mission’s ‘Tower of Strength’ to benefit COVID workers
- Members of The Cure, Depeche Mode, The Smiths remake ‘Tower of Strength’ for COVID relief
- The Mission to release ‘For Ever More’ box set chronicling 2008 full-album concerts
- Stream: The Mission’s Wayne Hussey covers George Michael smash ‘Careless Whisper’
- The Mission’s Wayne Hussey preps new solo album, releases single ‘Wither on the Vine’
- The Mission to release new 5-song ‘Different Colours’ EP — plus new best-of
- The Mission to release ‘The Brightest Light’ following U.S. tour this September