Former XTC figurehead Andy Partridge this week releases Powers, a 12-track, limited-edition album featuring “aural sculptures” inspired by the late sci-fi book-jacket artist Richard M. Powers. Given that Partridge’s Ape House Records has warned, “These are not songs, or even what the majority of people would call ‘music,’” it’s no surprise the label has put together a sample reel of clips from Powers set to some of the artist’s work (see above).
If those sounds haven’t scared you off, you can purchase one of 500 copies of Powers for £19.99 (about $30.60) through Ape House. Each disc comes packaged to look like an old sci-fi book, hand-numbered and signed by Partridge himself. All buyers will be entered into a drawing to win Partridge’s original drawing for the book’s cover.
See Andy Partridge’s ‘Powers’ cover after the jump…
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- XTC reissuing ‘Skylarking’ on vinyl ‘as it was intended to sound, but never has’
- Andy Partridge preps ‘aural sculptures’ inspired by sci-fi artist Richard M. Powers
- Help compile XTC’s ‘Bric-a-Brac Breakfast,’ sequel to 1990’s ‘Rag & Bone Buffet’
- Dukes of Stratosphear’s ‘Complete and Utter Dukes’ box set includes CDs, vinyl
- ‘XTC As…’: Re-branded Dukes of Stratosphear reissues due in March
- Quick Spins: Big Audio Dynamite, Dinosaur Jr, Joy Division, Dukes of Stratosphear