Having marked the 30th anniversary of Ian Curtis’ death last May by performing Joy Division’s 1979 debut, Unknown Pleasures, in its entirety, bassist Peter Hook will reprise that feat with a full orchestra this weekend at a U.K. festival before playing the full record in Australia and the U.S. later this year.
Backed by an orchestra and choir, Hook and his band The Light are slated to perform the full Unknown Pleasures — plus other early Joy Division and Warsaw numbers — Sunday night at Vintage at Goodwood, a festival celebrating “five decades of British cool.” Hook, who’ll handle Curtis’ vocals, already is pre-selling a 2CD live set of the performance.
In September, Hook and Co. — sans orchestra — take Unknown Pleasures on the road, first playing five dates across Australia, followed this winter, our friends at Consequence of Sound today report, by a nine-city U.S. tour that opens Dec. 1 in Washington, D.C., and wraps up Dec. 11 in Los Angeles (see full tour dates below).
To get you in the mood, here’s some video from Hook and Co.’s Curtis tribute in May.
See Peter Hook’s ‘Unknown Pleasure’ tour dates after the jump…
Peter Hook’s The Light plays Unknown Pleasures tour dates:
Aug. 15: Vintage at Goodwood Festival, Goodwood, Chichester (w/ orchestra)
Sept. 24: The Palais Theatre, Melbourne
Sept. 25: The Enmore Theatre, Syndey
Sept. 27: The Tivoli Theatre, Brisbane
Sept. 28: Her Majesty’s Theatre, Adelaide
Sept. 30: Astor Theatre, Perth
Dec. 1: 9:30 Club, Washington, D.C.
Dec. 2: Voyeur, Philadelphia, PA
Dec. 3: Webster Hall, New York, NY
Dec. 4: Royale Nightclub, Boston, MA
Dec. 6: Double Door, Chicago, IL
Dec. 7: Showbox at the Market, Seattle, WA
Dec. 9: Doug Fir, Portland, OR
Dec. 10: Mezzanine, San Francisco, CA
Dec. 11: Music Box at Henry Fonda Theater, Los Angeles, CA
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Smiths’ Andy Rourke no longer with Peter Hook’s Freebass supergroup
- Video: Peter Hook plays ‘Unknown Pleasures’ in tribute to Joy Division’s Ian Curtis
- Freebass — Peter Hook, Mani, Andy Rourke — releases debut, ‘It’s a Beautiful Life’
- Peter Hook plans Joy Division set at FAC251, ‘Unknown Pleasures’ spoken-word tour
- Peter Hook’s Freebass releases ‘Two Worlds Collide’ EP, sets live debut
- Peter Hook’s Freebass finishes first album, preps debut EP ‘Two Worlds Collide’