Last October, when Robert Smith announced this year’s deluxe 3CD reissue of Disintegration, he teased fans with ambitious plans for a whole series of Cure archival projects in 2010. Since, then however, not much has been heard about Smith’s promise to release “The Cure In Orange” on DVD, issue a box set of BBC recordings or put out an expanded edition of Mixed Up.
Yesterday, though, former Cure keyboardist Lol Tolhurst — famously sacked after the completion of Disintegration — tweeted the following: “Just realized looking thru my recent emails from Robert he tells me that he’s working on the Cure at the BBC and mixed up remaster..oops!,” followed by: “..Not Cure In Orange as previously reported! But anyway the dvd of it should be out soon enough….”
At first blush, it’s good to hear Smith is proceeding with the reissue of the band’s 1990 remix album and compiling the promised box set of BBC live recordings. It’s a little concerning, though, to hear he’s not working on the release of “In Orange,” the band’s beloved and long-out-of-print 1987 concert film.
Luckily, we have a bit of clarification on those reissue plans from ever-reliable Cure fan site Chain of Flowers, which reports that Tolhurst appeared on the “Park Time Punks” radio show on Los Angeles’ KXLU 88.9 FM yesterday: “Lol says that Robert has promised him that ‘In Orange’ will be out on DVD in 2011. Also said that work continues on The Cure @ the BBC box set and that should also be out next year.”
More tantalizingly, Chain of Flowers continues: “(Tolhurst) also emailed Robert recently about the possibility of playing some shows together next year for the 30th anniversary of Faith, with the original lineup, and says the ball is now in Robert’s court.” An interesting proposition, particularly since Smith for years has floated the idea of performing concerts with the different lineups from each era of the Cure.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Vintage Video: The Cure on ‘That Was Then… This Is Now,’ 1988 documentary
- Slicing Up Eyeballs readers poll: The Cure’s Top 98 songs of all time
- Slicing Up Eyeballs readers poll: The Cure’s Top 10 B-sides
- Slicing Up Eyeballs readers poll: The Cure’s Top 10 singles
- Poll: ‘Same Deep Water as You’ best song off The Cure’s ‘Disintegration’
- Review: The Cure’s ‘Disintegration: Deluxe Edition’ expanded 3CD reissue
- The Cure’s ‘Disintegration’ gets 3CD deluxe reissue, plus ‘In Orange’ on DVD