Former Bauhaus bassist David J is poised to release a new solo album called Not Long For This World — featuring new songs and covers of tracks by Smog, Ed Harcourt, Tom Waits and Dennis Wilson — and he’ll revisit his Love and Rockets tenure by playing two California shows next week with tribute act Luv’n Rockets.
The Kickstarter-funded album, which had been scheduled for release this week, is now arriving Nov. 1 on Starry Records. The 12-track collection — described as “rich, gothic cabaret-inspired album” — will be released on CD and a limited-edition double LP that will feature a signed piece of “one-of-a-kind” artwork created by David J representing each song.
Before the album arrives, however, David J is slated to front tribute band Luv’n Rockets for a pair of California concerts — Monday in Oakland and Tuesday in Fullerton, in the Los Angeles area — during which he’ll perform full sets of songs by the defunct Love and Rockets.
Finally, David J has a pair of theatrical productions on tap in the Los Angeles area. He’s staging “The Chanteuse and the Devil’s Muse” on Nov. 12; below, you can see a private performance of some of those songs, plus Bauhaus’ “Bela Lugosi’s Dead,” filmed by Dustin Lane. And he’ll also stage “Silver for Gold (The Odyssey of Edie Sedgwick)” from Nov. 30 to Dec. 4.
Tracklist: David J, Not Long For This World
1. Because You’re Gone (Paul Wallfisch/Annie Bandez)
2. Gloomy Sunday (Rezso Seress)
3. Dead and Lovely (Tom Waits)
4. St. James Infirmary (Traditional)
5. Hank Williams to the Angel of Death (David J Haskins/Marcelo Radulovich)
6. Spalding Gray Can’t Swim (David J Haskins/George Sarah)
7. Eulogy for Jeff Buckley (David J Haskins/Damien Youth)
8. Dagger in the Well (David J Haskins)
9. The Last Cigarette (Ed Harcourt)
10. Dress Sexy at my Funeral (Bill Callahan)
11. Farewell My Friend (Dennis Wilson)
12. Not Long For This World (David J Haskins/Michael Berg)
Video: David J, Ysanne Spevack and Ego Plum; Hollywood, CA, 10/1/11
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Free MP3s: Bones Howell covers Bauhaus’ ‘Hair of the Dog,’ gets remixed by Daniel Ash
- Tones on Tail ‘Weird Pop’ vinyl best-of to feature rare and unreleased tracks
- Milestones: David J turns 54 today; watch Love and Rockets as The Bubblemen
- Daniel Ash closes door on Love and Rockets: ‘It’s boring for me to do those songs’
- Love and Rockets’ Daniel Ash releases 4-track ‘It’s a Burn Out’ solo EP on iTunes