It’s not all bad news today for fans of The Cure: The band apparently is preparing a deluxe 20th anniversary reissue of Wish for release sometime in 2012, as well as a new 7-inch of that album’s hit single “Friday I’m In Love” to be released in the U.K. on Record Store Day next April to raise funds for the Teenage Cancer Trust.
A Wish reissue has not yet been formally announced, but our friends at fan site Chain of Flowers note that the website announcing a contest to design the artwork for the new “Friday I’m In Love” 7-inch includes this in the band’s bio: “The Cure have been re-issuing re-mastered versions of their early albums since 2003, with 1992’s Wish (the album that carries the single ‘Friday I’m In Love’) scheduled for the ‘deluxe re-release’ treatment in 2012.”
To date, Rhino Records has released expanded reissues of each of Robert Smith and Co.’s studio albums up through 1989’s Disintegration, which received a 3CD package upon its re-release last year. Wish, originally released May 26, 1992, is the next in line.
In late 2009, upon announcing the Disintegration reissue, Smith wrote on the band’s website that there would be “a lot more remastered Cure stuff in 2010,” including Mixed Up 2 (apparently a sequel to the 1990 remix album) as well as a box set of BBC recordings and DVD releases of 1987’s “In Orange” and 1993’s “Show” concert films.
None of those titles have been released, let alone officially announced.
As for the Record Store Day 7-inch, the Talenthouse design firm is hosting a U.K.-only contest called Secret 7″, in which fans can submit designs for the sleeves of singles for seven different participating artists, including The Cure. Forty-five different designs will be selected for the “Friday I’m In Love” single, but nobody will know who won or what designs were chosen until people start buying the singles on the U.K. edition of Record Store Day, which next year falls on April 21.
See full details of the contest here.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Beastie Boys make Rock Hall of Fame — The Cure snubbed
- The Cure’s Robert Smith hints at 2012 tour, tells New York: ‘We’ll see you again next year’
- The Cure to release ‘Bestival Live 2011’ CD next month with complete 32-song set
- Robert Smith to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: ‘Jason Cooper is The Cure’s drummer… bah!’
- The Cure to perform ‘Reflections’ concerts in London, New York, Los Angeles in November
- The Cure nominated for induction into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on 2012 ballot
- The Cure at Bestival: Roger O’Donnell rejoins band for 32-song set (photo, video, setlist)
- The Cure’s Robert Smith vows to complete second half of ‘4.13 Dream’ album
- Video: The Cure plays 44-song ‘Reflections’ concert with Tolhurst, O’Donnell