Long rumored to be making a return to the live arena following last year’s extensive reissue campaign, The Jesus and Mary Chain is set to play its first concerts in four years next month with a short run of U.S. dates that includes stops at the 35 Denton festival in Denton, Texas, and South By Southwest.
According to a press release issued today, the Mary Chain will play at least four U.S. concerts in March, including the two festival dates and concerts in Houston and New Orleans. The brothers Reid will be joined by guitarist John Moore (sometimes drummer and guitarist from Pyschocandy line-up), bassist Phil King and “a drummer to be announced.”
It’s not clear whether more dates will be added.
The 35 Denton festival today announced that JAMC will headline the March 8-11 event, posting the video seen below, which features Denton act Baptist Generals covering the Mary Chain’s 1989 hit “Head On.” Other artists appearing include Built to Spill, The Raincoats and John Vanderslice.
After splitting in 1998, the Mary Chain reunited in 2007 and toured that year and into 2008 before falling dormant again. The group has said it’s working on a new album, but, aside from one song, no new music has emerged. Last fall, each JAMC album was reissued with a bonus CD and DVD.
Full lineup and ticket information on 35 Denton is available here.
The Jesus and Mary Chain tour dates:
March 11: Denton 35, Denton, Texas
March 12: House of Blues, New Orleans, LA
March 13: House of Blues, Houston, TX
March 14-18: South By Southwest, Austin, TX
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Vintage Video: Watch The Jesus and Mary Chain’s infamous 1985 Camden gig and riot
- Stream: Jim Reid’s Jesus and Mary Chain 1985 ‘Inspirations & Influences’ mix
- Jim Reid on a new Jesus and Mary Chain album: ‘It might happen, it might not’
- Stream: ‘Black and Blues,’ brand-new song from Jim Reid of The Jesus and Mary Chain
- Jesus and Mary Chain reissues: Take an interactive, 3-D tour of the 2CD/1DVD sets
- Jesus and Mary Chain reissuing all 6 albums this fall in deluxe 2CD/1DVD editions
- JAMC’s Jim Reid ‘wouldn’t rule out’ ‘Psychocandy’ 25th anniversary gigs
- The Jesus and Mary Chain anthologized on 2CD ‘Upside Down: The Best Of’