The reactivated Public Image Ltd. will release its first new album in 20 years — a 12-track effort to be called This is PiL — in either May or June, and will tease the release with a four-song, vinyl-only EP spotlighting the single “One Drop” that will be released on Record Store Day, frontman John Lydon announced on British radio this morning.
“The album’s done,” Lydon told the hosts of BBC’s 6 Music morning show today. “We finished it late last summer, mastered it in September.”
The One Drop EP, to be released on vinyl on Record Store Day on April 21, is “four songs to give you a taste of what the album is, which is 12 songs; it’s a lot of music we put together, and all of it’s rather all right,” Lydon said during a brief call from Los Angeles.
The track “One Drop” is expected to receive is debut airing this afternoon on Steve Lamacq’s show on 6 Music, according to PiL’s website. No further information about the album, the band’s first since 1992’s That What Is Not, has yet been revealed by Lydon or PiL.
PiL also was announced as performing at Radio 6’s 10th anniversary celebrations on March 16.
Public Image Ltd. tour dates:
March 16: Southbank Centre, Queen Elizabeth Hall, London, UK
Aug. 4: Blackpool Rebellion Festival, Empress Ballroom, Wintergardens, UK
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Public Image Ltd. to reissue back catalog, John Lydon solo CD in UK next month
- Public Image Ltd. finishes recording new studio album to be released in 2012
- Public Image Ltd. reissues entire catalog in Japan on high-quality SHM-CD format
- Public Image Ltd. reunion continues into 2011 with festivals in the U.K., Slovakia
- Video: Public Image Ltd. plays ‘Late Night With Jimmy Fallon,’ sets German tour
- Public Image Ltd. sets 16-date North American club tour to follow Coachella
- Video + setlist: Public Image Ltd. reunites in Birmingham, 1st concert in 17 years
- John Lydon reuniting Public Image Ltd. for 30th anniversary of ‘Metal Box’