John Lydon’s resurrected Public Image Ltd. today announced a May 28 release date for This is PiL, the groundbreaking post-punk act’s first new album in 20 years, and also unveiled the tracklist for the four-song Record Store Day EP that’s culled from the new record and which will hit shops a full month earlier.
The album and EP, initially announced last week, were recorded by the new incarnation of PiL — featuring late-’80s members Lu Edmonds (a former Damned guitarist) and Bruce Smith (onetime drummer for The Slits and The Pop Group), as well as new bassist Scott Firth — at Steve Winwood’s studio in the U.K. last year. Both are self-financed and will be released on the band’s own label, PiL Official, via Cargo UK Distribution.
The four-track One Drop EP, due out on vinyl April 21, is taken from the album, the band confirmed today. The lead track, “One Drop,” debuted on BBC 6 last week.
In a news release, Lydon discussed “One Drop”:
“’One Drop’ is a reflection of where I grew up in Finsbury Park, London. The area that shaped me, and influenced me culturally and musically, a place I will forever feel connected to. But within this I am also saying it doesn’t matter where you come from, we all go through the same emotions especially the disenchanted youth of today, yesterday and the future. Bearing in mind the Olympics are in London this year and who knows what that could bring for London and our country.”
Check out the full EP tracklist below, and stream the radio debut of “One Drop.”
Tracklist: Public Image Ltd., One Drop EP
1. “One Drop”
2. “I Must Be Dreaming”
3. “The Room I Am In”
4. “Lollipop Opera”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Stream: Public Image Ltd., ‘One Drop’ — John Lydon’s first new PiL recording in 20 years
- Public Image Ltd. to release Record Store Day EP, new album ‘This is PiL’ in May/June
- Public Image Ltd. to reissue back catalog, John Lydon solo CD in UK next month
- Public Image Ltd. finishes recording new studio album to be released in 2012
- Public Image Ltd. sets 16-date North American club tour to follow Coachella
- Video + setlist: Public Image Ltd. reunites in Birmingham, 1st concert in 17 years
- John Lydon reuniting Public Image Ltd. for 30th anniversary of ‘Metal Box’