Photo by Leah (@designlk)
Depeche Mode isn’t expected to return to the stage until 2013, but about 150 people got an unusually up-close-and-personal glimpse of frontman Dave Gahan in action Saturday night when he performed a special one-off show with Soulsavers, showcasing seven tracks off The Light the Dead See, the album they released together earlier this year.
According to a Rolling Stone account of the show at Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, Gahan at one point quipped, “I’ve never been this close to people.” Depeche Mode manager Jonathan Kessler told Rolling Stone that more one-off Soulsavers gigs are possible, and that Saturday night’s show was filmed and will be put out in some capacity “quickly.”
Until then, you can catch the first glimpse of the Gahan-fronted Soulsavers via the admittedly short clip below of the group performing “Take Me Back Home” that’s posted below (via dc3099). We’ll post more as it shows up online.
UPDATE: We’ve added about 8 more minutes of footage below.
Setlist: Soulsavers with Dave Gahan, Capitol Studios, Los Angeles, CA, 7/22/12
1. “Prescence of God”
2. “In the Morning”
4. “Just Try”
5. “Take Me Back Home”
7. “Gone Too Far”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Depeche Mode shoots down fake 2013 tour dates
- Is Depeche Mode hinting at Alan Wilder’s return? Or just teasing fans?
- Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan: 20 songs demoed for new album, tour planned for 2013
- Stream: Soulsavers featuring Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan, ‘The Light the Dead See’
- Milestones: Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan is 50 today — watch 7 full concerts, 1981-2009
- Stream: Soulsavers f/ Dave Gahan, ‘Longest Day’ — first single off ‘The Light the Dead See’
- Depeche Mode’s Dave Gahan lends voice to Soulsavers’ album ‘The Light the Dead See’