In a completely expected turn of events, representatives for both Morrissey and Johnny Marr reportedly have each denied the rumors of a reunion by The Smiths that once again circulated online this week following Moz’s claim that Coachella was willing to go entirely meat-free in exchange for a headlining performance by the legendary band.
The NME this morning reported that Joe Moss, Marr’s manager, denied the rumors entirely: “It isn’t happening. We are fully focused on preparing Johnny’s new album for release and booking shows for 2013.” That follows a report by HitFix.com that Morrissey’s rep responded to their inquires with a vehement claim of, “The Smiths will NEVER get back together.”
The latest reunion rumors picked up steam Monday following the spread of Morrissey’s comments about Coachella in an Australian interview. Then, a U.K. gossip site claimed that the reunion was a done deal, with four shows booked including a possible slot at Glastonbury.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Stop me if you’ve heard this one before: New round of The Smiths reunion rumors fly
- New biography ‘A Light That Never Goes Out’ promises ‘complete story’ of The Smiths
- Morrissey to play Australia, New Zealand in December — plus Fallon, Kimmel, Colbert
- Video: Morrissey plays 4 unreleased songs in Dublin for ‘Studio in Session’ program
- Billy Bragg takes on Morrissey over slam of London Olympics’ ‘blustering jingoism’
- Morrissey announces 33-date U.S. tour — including L.A. show with Iggy & The Stooges
- ‘The Smiths — Complete’ box set: 8 albums on vinyl, CD; plus 25 7-inch singles, DVD