This week’s “120 Minutes” Rewind is short and sweet — the clip is just 22 seconds long — but it’s a great historical footnote for fans of the MTV Sunday night classic. As you can see in this segment from the Sept. 22, 1991, episode, host Dave Kendall is broadcasting from a Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians show in New York City when he asks a fan in the crowd whether he’s looking forward to the gig.
But it’s not just any face in the crowd, it’s a pre-MTV Matt Pinfield (who, yes, is very excited, and tells us why). By that point, Pinfield was a well-known DJ in the New York area, but it would be another four years before he’d be introduced as host of “120 Minutes” following a long line of rotating hosts who helmed the show after Kendall left in 1992.
These days, Pinfield is once again hosting the resurrected “120 Minutes” on MTV2.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Lou Reed hosts early episode, interviews Suzanne Vega — 1986
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Downtown Julie Brown spotlights The Lucy Show — Jan. 25, 1987
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Original MTV VJ Alan Hunter hosts early episode — Sept. 28, 1986
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: The The’s Matt Johnson talks to Kevin Seal — June 11, 1989
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Sonic Youth in studio with Dave Kendall — summer 1990