For this week’s “120 Minutes” Rewind, we flash back to 1992 for a walk through Tijuana, Mexico, with John Lydon and host Dave Kendall. This appears to actually be an MTV news piece, likely repackaged from segments produced for a July 1992 episode of “120 Minutes” that featured the Public Image Ltd. frontman as co-host.
The footage would have been filmed, however, on or near Feb. 7, 1992, the date PiL filmed the video for “Covered,” the first song released off That What Is Not, at a Tijuana rock club called Iguana’s. There’s footage of that video shoot in this clip, as well — which has great personal memories for yours truly, as I was in the audience that night.
My three main memories: 1.) Lydon came on-stage being carried atop a surfboard, 2.) Mike Joyce of The Smiths played drums that night, and, 3.) stopping a show mid-set to lip-sync to the same song over and over and over again can get pretty boring. Still, great experience. And when the video finally debuted on “120 Minutes,” my friends and I taped it, then pored over the footage looking for our heads — or any other flying body parts — in the crowd shots.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Peter Murphy, Bauhaus spotlighted in special — May 18, 1990
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: Mojo Nixon plays ‘Debbie Gibson is Pregnant…’ — March 1989
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: The Cramps’ Lux Interior, Poison Ivy talk to Dave Kendall — 1990
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: The Sisters of Mercy’s Andrew Eldritch talks to Dave Kendall — 1990
- ‘120 Minutes’ Rewind: ‘The Alternative Year in Rock’ with Dave Kendall — Nov. 24, 1992