The 2013 installment of Record Store Day is still three months away, but details are starting to emerge about what bands will be offering limited-edition vinyl releases to commemorate the day — a list that so far includes new releases from the likes of Hüsker Dü, Robyn Hitchcock, Paul Weller and Wire.
This year’s Record Store Day falls on April 20, and while no full list of exclusive and limited-edition releases has yet been compiled by the event’s official site, we can pull together info on the following releases expected in the U.S. and/or U.K. this coming April:
- Rolling Stone today reported that Hüsker Dü will reissue its first single, “Statues,” as a double 7-inch limited to 4,000 copies on Record Store Day. The set will include “Statues” and its flip side, “Amusement,” as well as two other songs (“Writer’s Cramp” and “Let’s Go Die”) recorded for that 1981 release, which originally had been intended as a 10-inch. You can stream “Statues” below.
- Yep Roc Records has announced a 12-inch release from Robyn Hitchcock called There Goes The Ice that will feature eight songs from his online-only Digital Phantom 45 series, plus two previously unreleased songs. You can check out the title track right here.
- Yep Roc also announced Paul Weller will release a special Sonik Kicks singles box set featuring five singles from that 2012 album on colored vinyl, which will include two previously unreleased songs. The set also will include an autographed Sonik Kicks poster.
- Finally, in announcing its forthcoming album Change Becomes Us, which is due out March 26, Wire revealed that release of the vinyl edition will be delayed a month “because we want to put out a special version for Record Store Day.” It’s not known yet what that release will entail.
For more information on Record Store Day, check out the event’s website.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Record Store Day 2012: The Cure, Morrissey, PiL, Devo, The Fall, Kate Bush, The Clash
- Record Store Day 2011: R.E.M., The Smiths, Sonic Youth, Kate Bush, New Order
- Record Store Day 2010: R.E.M., Sonic Youth, Ramones, Factory Records