As Robert Smith first teased last summer, The Cure will return to South America for the first time in 17 years this April, mounting its first-ever large-scale tour of the continent, performing seven concerts in Brazil, Paraguay, Argentina, Chile and Colombia — followed by a one-off show in Mexico City on Smith’s birthday to end the trek.
The band formally announced the long-rumored tour (see full dates below) on its website today, with Smith offering the following statement:
“We are deliriously happy to be coming back to South America at last – we have been away for far too long! We will be playing 3+ hour shows, and have every intention of making this the most memorable Cure Tour EVER!
Outside of two Brazilian concerts in 1996, The Cure hasn’t played in South America since the Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me trek of 1987, a 11-date tour that only hit Brazil and Argentina.
Last summer, Smith told interviewers backstage at a Swiss festival that the band would return to South America: “We’re supposed to go there just after Easter next year. We’re going to play in every… not every country in South America. We’re not playing in Ecuador because people don’t play in Ecuador. But we’re playing Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, Peru, Venezuela.”
Unless the itinerary expands, The Cure – featuring Smith, Simon Gallup, Jason Cooper, Roger O’Donnell and Reeves Gabrels – won’t actually be playing in Uruguay and Venezuela.
But Smith is holding true to his plans to skip Ecuador.
The Cure’s LatAm2013 Tour:
April 4: HSBC Arena, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
April 6: Morumbi, São Paulo, Brazil
April 9: Jockey Club, Asunción, Paraguay
April 12: River Plate Stadium, Buenos Aires, Argentina
April 14: Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile
April 17: Estadio Nacional, Lima, Peru
April 19: Simon Bolivar Park, Bogotá, Colombia
April 21: Foro Sol, Mexico City, Mexico
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Stream: Robert Smith covers Sinatra standard ‘Witchcraft’ for ‘Frankenweenie Unleashed!’
- The Cure plays Reading tonight for first time in 33 years — hear band’s full 1979 set
- Robert Smith: The Cure to record with new lineup, enlist Mogwai, Cranes for ‘Mixed Up 2’
- Robert Smith: The Cure to mount first-ever full South American tour next year
- Video: The Cure at Germany’s Southside Festival — watch full 70-minute webcast
- Stream: The Cure’s first American concert — newly discovered tape of Cherry Hill, NJ, 1980
- Video: The Cure debuts guitarist Reeves Gabrels, digs out rarities at Pinkpop Festival