Just two weeks after canceling the remainder of his troubled U.S. tour over his ongoing “medical mishaps,” Morrissey tonight announced plans to resume touring in June and July, with seven concerts planned in Mexico — including a show at the 10,000-seat National Auditorium in Mexico City — followed by performances in Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile.
The former Smiths singer broke the news through his usual venue — fan site True To You — with a short announcement that makes no reference to the health problems that derailed his North American tour. No dates have yet been announced, and the only specific show mentioned is the Mexico City concert, which will conclude the seven-date Mexican run.
Morrissey last toured South America in February 2012.
The full statement:
June and July
Morrissey is scheduled to play shows in seven cities in Mexico in June, rounding-off at the National Auditorium in Mexico City. Morrissey will also appear on two national television shows. The dates in Mexico will be followed by concerts in Brazil, Argentina, Peru and Chile. Details will be announced shortly. Morrissey has declined to take part in two upcoming British television documentaries on the Smiths.
On March 15, after multiple postponements, Morrissey canceled the remainder of his U.S. dates, a trek that was scheduled to have stopped in Atlanta tonight and continued through May 1. The singer’s publicists blamed the cancellations on “a series of medical mishaps over the past few months including a bleeding ulcer, Barrett’s esophagus and double pneumonia.”
Morrissey himself issued a statement, saying, “I hope this isn’t the end, and I hope there will be other chances, minus the heavy burden of illness.”
A week ago, in a radio interview in Mexico, Morrissey said his doctors had “cautioned” him to stop touring: “But it’s difficult for me because, it’s very engrained within me. I know it’s the best of life … when you tour and when you make music and when you sing … There is nothing better. Can you think of anything?”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS:
- Rare tape of early The Smiths rehearsals surfaces — hear 40-minute set from May 1983
- Morrissey cancels U.S. tour over ongoing medical problems: ‘I hope this isn’t the end’
- Spurned by David Bowie, Morrissey turns to Rick Astley for sleeve of new reissue single
- Jimmy Kimmel mocks Morrissey, Moz blasts late-night show’s ‘overwhelming loss of meaning’
- Morrissey refuses to appear on Kimmel with ‘animal serial killers’ from ‘Duck Dynasty’
- Morrissey reschedules, expands U.S. tour — will be on road at same time as Johnny Marr
- Morrissey to reissue tweaked ‘Kill Uncle,’ release 3 new songs as B-sides to ’89 single
- Morrissey lives! ‘Reports of my death have been greatly understated,’ singer says