Our year-long Best of the ’80s feature continues this month as we reach 1983, and once again ask Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers to weigh in on their favorite albums of that year in our ongoing quest to rank the releases of each year of the decade through the bulk of 2013, concluding, come December, with a poll to determine the best of the ’80s.
VOTING: It’s a simple process. We’ve assembled a list of 170 albums released in 1983, and you’re welcome to vote for up to 10 of them — or write in any title(s) you wish that we didn’t include.
A few notes and reminders on how this works:
- The albums that made the ballot are those that fall within the very loose and ill-defined “alternative” banner, generally titles from the punk, post-punk, goth, college rock, indie, industrial, New Wave and related genres. If there are albums missing you want to vote for, certainly feel free to write ‘em in.
- Speaking of write-ins, you may list multiple albums in the box at the end of the poll, but, please, limit your total votes to 10 (honor system, here). If you run out of room, e-mail email@example.com.
- As has been the case with the first three polls in this series, this is a ranking of studio albums. So no EPs, live albums or compilations. If there’s enough interest, we’ll run an additional poll to determine the best EPs of the ’80s when this series is done at the end of 2013.
- Speaking of EPs, there seems to be conflicting opinions as to whether Minor Threat’s Out of Step is an EP or, in fact, the band’s only full-length (albeit short) album. We found enough instances referring to it as the latter that we decided to include it on this list.
- And, since it will no doubt come up, The Cure’s Japanese Whispers is not a proper album, it’s a compilation of three of the band’s singles and those singles’ respective B-sides.
DEADLINE: Voting will be open through 5 p.m. EDT May 24, and results will be posted at the beginning of June — after which we’ll launch the 1984 poll and take it from there. Sound good? Then vote away. And feel free to discuss/list/explain/lobby for your picks in the comments section below.
NOTE: If this app isn’t letting you vote, you also may vote directly via Polldaddy: poll.fm/47tru.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Top 100 Albums of 1982: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 3
- Top 100 Albums of 1981: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 2
- Top 100 Albums of 1980: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 1