Our year-long Best of the ’80s poll continues into August as we hit 1986, and once again ask Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers to vote for their favorite albums of that year in our ongoing mission to rank the releases of each year of the decade throughout 2013, concluding, come December, with a poll to determine the absolute best records of the entire 1980s.
VOTING: It’s a simple process. We’ve assembled a list of 215 albums released in 1986, and you’re welcome to vote for up to 10 of them — or write in any title(s) you wish that we didn’t include.
A few notes and reminders on how this works:
- Given the theme of this website, the albums that made the ballot are limited to those that fall under the very loose and ill-defined “alternative” banner, generally titles from the punk, post-punk, goth, college rock, indie, synthpop, industrial, New Wave and related genres — and that’s why you won’t find, say, Graceland or Eat ‘Em and Smile on the ’86 ballot. Yet if there are albums missing you want to vote for — those included — certainly feel free to write them in.
- Speaking of write-ins, you may list multiple albums in the box at the end of the poll, but, please, limit your total votes to 10. If you run out of room, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- As has been the case with the first four polls in this series, this is a ranking of studio albums. So no EPs (such as Meat Puppets’ Out My Way), live albums or compilations (that means you, Standing on a Beach). If there’s enough interest, we’ll run additional polls to determine the best EPs, comps and/or live albums of the ’80s when this series is done at the end of 2013.
- And, finally, we’ll reiterate this: Despite pleas to increase the number of albums that can be voted on, we’re going to keep it at 10. Because that’s the real test here: You’re deciding which of your children you like the best. And then cutting the rest loose. This is serious business.
DEADLINE: Voting will be open through 5 p.m. EDT Aug. 30, and results will be posted at the beginning of September — after which we’ll launch the 1987 poll and take it from there.
Sound good? Then vote away.
And feel free to discuss/list/explain/lobby for your picks in the comments section below.
NOTE: If this app isn’t letting you vote, you also may vote directly via Polldaddy: poll.fm/4cfk8.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Top 100 Albums of 1980: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 1
- Top 100 Albums of 1981: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 2
- Top 100 Albums of 1982: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 3
- Top 100 Albums of 1983: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 4
- Top 100 Albums of 1984: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 5
- Top 100 Albums of 1985: Slicing Up Eyeballs’ Best of the ’80s — Part 6