In the fall of 2010, the surviving members of Big Country regrouped, tapped Mike Peters of The Alarm to fill in for late frontman Stuart Adamson and proceeded to tour the world, and record and release a new album called The Journey. Three years later, though, Peters is out of the band — and it’s not yet clear what exactly happened.
The band on Saturday posted a short message on Facebook from guitarist Bruce Watson and drummer Mark Brzezicki announcing that “Big Country and Mike will now be parting ways. The band will continue using Stuart’s original blueprint as a four-piece. We wish Mike well in the future.”
Peters, who will be touring next year in support of the 30th anniversary of The Alarm’s Declaration album, does not appear to have confirmed or addressed his departure publicly, either on The Alarm’s site or social media outlets, and the Big Country announcement — later posted on the band’s website under the headline “Big Country continues” — does not elaborate.
The departure of Peters follows the announcement a year ago that bassist Tony Butler — who joined Big Country prior to the recording of the band’s 1982 debut single “Harvest Home” — was leaving the reunited group “to look to new horizons.” He was replaced by original Simple Minds bassist Derek Forbes.
In their statement about Peters, Watson and Brzezicki thank Forbes, Peters, Butler, the Adamson estate and Watson’s son Jamie, who has been playing guitar in the band — but don’t reveal who else will be involved in the ongoing four-piece incarnation of Big Country.
Read the band’s full statement below:
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Big Country ‘At the BBC’ box set to compile studio sessions, live tracks, TV appearances
- Big Country to release new album ‘The Journey,’ tour U.K., Europe and North America
- Tony Butler quits Big Country, band promises ‘adventure’ with Simple Minds’ Derek Forbes
- Big Country’s ‘The Crossing: Deluxe Edition’ reissue to include 10 unreleased tracks
- Big Country releasing ‘Another Country’ — first single in 12 years — with Mike Peters
- Big Country enlists The Alarm’s Mike Peters as lead singer for 30th anniversary tour