The reunited original lineup of Scottish indie-pop outfit Close Lobsters — immortalized on the NME’s genre-defining C86 compilation cassette — today released a brand-new EP that marks the band’s first recordings in a quarter century, and we’re thrilled to premiere the video for one of the tracks, “New York City in Space,” here on Slicing Up Eyeballs (see below).
The Kuntswerk in Spacetime EP was released by Shelflife Records in a five-track digital format, with two new songs, “Now Time” and “New York City in Space,” plus three additional mixes. A 7-inch featuring the two songs will follow on June 17, having been delayed by some issues with the sleeve art.
The Close Lobsters reunited in 2012 for a handful of dates, and have played sporadically since, including an appearance in New York City last year.
During their original 1985-to-1989 run, the Close Lobsters put out a number of singles and two albums, 1987′s Foxheads Stalk This Land and 1989′s Headache Rhetoric. In 2009, the group released a best-of set called Forever, Until Victory! The Singles Collection, featuring, among other standouts, “Firestation Towers,” the group’s inclusion on the C86 tape.
In 2012, the band released a super-limited 7-inch single featuring a pair of previously unreleased cut: a 1990 demo called “Steel Love” and a 1989 live recording of a song called “Head Above Water.”
Below, check out the EP tracklist and the video for the brand-new track “New York City in Space.”
Video: Close Lobsters, “New York City in Space”
Tracklist: Close Lobsters, Kuntswerk in Spacetime EP
1. “Now Time”
2. “New York City in Space”
3. “New York City in Space” (Standing Stone Mix) *
4. “Now Time Meander” (Studio Monkey Mix) *
5. “Now Time” (Spontaneous Pattern Formation Mix) *
* Digital release only
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Close Lobsters, The Bats, The Monochrome Set, The Wolfhounds playing NYC Popfest
- Close Lobsters celebrate reunion with new 7-inch featuring 2 previously unreleased tracks
- Video: Close Lobsters at Madrid Popfest — first show with original lineup since 1989
- Close Lobsters reunite for ‘People of Europe Rise Up’ shows in Madrid, Glasgow, Berlin
- C86 vets Close Lobsters to reissue singles on ‘Forever, Until Victory!’ compilation