New Order has debuted a pair of new songs (“Singularity,” “Plastic”) on tour this year in North and South America, but used the occasion of its concert in San Francisco last night to do something perhaps even more unlikely: follow usual show-closer “Love Will Tear Us Apart” with a cover of ’60s anthem “San Francisco (Be Sure to Wear Flowers in Your Hair).”
As you can see from the video below (via concertkid2) it’s a fairly faithful, rocked-out version of the 1967 Scott McKenzie classic, written by John Phillips of The Mamas & The Papas.
New Order wraps up its short run of North American dates Sunday night in Los Angeles.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Video: New Order debuts new song ‘Plastic’ at North American tour opener in Chicago
- Watch The Charlatans’ Tim Burgess, half of New Order jam acoustic in a church
- Watch footballer John Barnes reprise his rap from New Order’s ‘World in Motion’ 24 years later
- Here’s pro-shot video of that new New Order song — which is actually called ‘Singularity’
- Video: Iggy Pop joins New Order to cover Joy Division classics at Tibet House benefit