Back by semi-popular demand: The Slicing Up Eyeballs readers poll, this time with a new twist. Whereas the first time around, we conducted a yearlong Best of the ’80s album survey, we’re going to dip our toes back into the polling waters by focusing on a single act: The Cure.
That’s right, with your help, we’re going to rank all 224 songs by Robert Smith and his various incarnations of The Cure. For those of you who’ve been around since the early days of this site, we took a very informal stab at this back in 2010, ranking 98 songs. This will be a far more complete, and scientific, vote.
VOTING: Below you’ll find a ballot listing 224 officially released songs written and recorded by The Cure. This list includes singles, B-sides, album tracks, EP cuts, songs from compilations, etc. — but it does not include live recordings, covers, remixes, alternate takes or demos, even if officially released. You’re welcome to vote for up to 25 of your favorite songs. (Certainly you can vote for fewer. If you’re all about “The Weedy Burton,” and nothing else matters, by all means, cast that lone vote.)
A few notes on all this:
- We’re pretty sure that this list of 224 songs is definitive, but there is a write-in option at the end of the poll in case we’ve missed anything. You can also email email@example.com if you’ve got any questions about song eligibility beyond the rules described above.
- While you can vote for up to 25 songs, they all will be weighed equally when the results are tallied. But if you’d like to share your ranked Top 25 (or fewer) lists with the rest of the Slicing Up Eyeballs readers, feel free to drop them in the comments below, and make your case for what you believe are The Cure’s best songs.
- Since someone’s going to ask, no, this doesn’t mean we won’t resume the Best of the ’80s Redux polls to determine the best songs of the decade. Those were much more difficult to run than the album polls, because participants could simply vote for any song they wanted vs. choosing from a list of titles in the album polls. This made for far less participation (people are more apt to vote when presented with a slate of things to choose from), and much, much more work on our end compiling results and making sure the songs people voted for were even from that year (you’d be surprised). We’re looking for a better solution. Suggestions are welcome in the comments below.
- Finally, special thanks to Craig at Chain of Flowers and Michele from the Out of This World: The Cure Italia group on Facebook for helping us compile/verify our list of original Cure songs.
DEADLINE: Voting ends 5 p.m. EST Friday, May 12, and results will be posted later in the month.
Sound good? Then vote away.
(If you have any difficulty using the webform below, go directly to Polldaddy to vote: poll.fm/5sk0k)
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Watch: The Church’s Steve Kilbey covers The Cure classics ‘Pictures of You,’ ‘Love Song’
- Vintage Video: Watch 30 minutes of The Cure’s rehearsals for The Prayer Tour in 1989
- The Cure preparing ‘Greatest Hits,’ ‘Acoustic Hits’ vinyl picture discs for Record Store Day
- Lost wishes: 7 things The Cure’s Robert Smith promised to release this decade, but hasn’t
- The Cure’s Lol Tolhurst and Pearl Thompson reunite in the recording studio