Morrissey’s cancellation as headliner of tonight’s KROQ Almost Acoustic Christmas show left The Killers as the evening’s closing act, and Brandon Flowers and Co. took the opportunity to give fans what they weren’t getting, covering both The Smiths’ “This Charming Man” and Moz’s own “Everyday is Like Sunday” as part of their set at the Forum in Los Angeles.
Morrissey scrubbed his appearance at the two-night KROQ holiday show this weekend, citing illness, after he already had canceled the last two shows of his U.S. tour — in Philadelphia and Boston — as well as an earlier gig in Paso Robles, Calif. No specific details of the medical issue have been disclosed.
Below, check out fan-shot footage of The Killers covering The Smiths and Morrissey.
Killers cover This Charming Man https://t.co/U2jCuGpP8J
— youngchich (@christianvzq14) December 11, 2017
Morrissey cancelled so Brandon Flowers & the Killers covered ‘This Charming Man’ & ‘Every Day Is Like Sunday’ at KROQ’s Almost Acoustic Xmas.
— Peter Larsen (@PeterLarsenBSF) December 11, 2017
I actually cried during this charming man performed by the killers and not Morrissey
— megan 🌚 (@mamimegaan) December 11, 2017
For context, The Killers just performed a very apropos cover of “This Charming Man” and, given the circumstances, the crowd went wild. #KROQXMAS
— Dee 🎶 (@nerdeebirdee) December 11, 2017
The Killers are playing the Smiths’ “This Charming Man” and it’s pretty cool #KROQXMAS
— Scott T. Sterling (@ststerling) December 11, 2017
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Morrissey cancels Boston concert as another U.S. tour comes to an ignominious end
- Morrissey performs The Smiths’ ‘I Started Something I Couldn’t Finish’ for first time ever
- Watch: Morrissey debuts new songs, covers The Pretenders in 55-minute set for BBC
- Morrissey announces 16-date U.S. tour this fall in support of ‘Low in High School’
- Morrissey announces new album ‘Low in High-School,’ plus Hollywood Bowl concert
- The absolute best of The Smiths: All 70 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers