Photo by Nicole Nodland
Though he’s delayed its release, Paul Weller has now offered fans a second taste of his 15th solo album On Sunset in the form of the gentle ballad “Village,” which you can hear below. On Sunset, the follow-up to 2018’s stripped-down True Meanings, was first due out June 12 on Polydor in the U.K. and Verve Forecast in the U.S., then got bumped to July 3.
Weller describes the song as coming from the perspective of someone who’s happy with his state in life: “It’s a response to being told that we’ve all got to explore the Amazon and climb Everest to make our lives complete,” Weller says in a press release announcing the track. “And there’s a guy who says, fuck all that, I’ve got heaven around me.”.
The former leader of The Jam and The Style Council is still scheduled to embark on a 17-date U.K. tour, beginning Oct. 19 in Plymouth and wrapping up with two London shows on Nov. 19 and 20.
Check out the new song:
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Listen: Paul Weller previews new album ‘On Sunset’ with first single ‘Earth Beat’
- Paul Weller preps new album ‘On Sunset,’ North American tour in the works
- Paul Weller returns with lushly orchestrated 14th studio album ‘True Meanings’
- Listen: Paul Weller spreads his sonic wings on new ‘Mother Ethiopia’ collaborations
- The Jam’s 40th anniversary to be commemorated with 5-disc ‘1977’ box set