Former Mighty Lemon Drops guitarist/songwriter David Newton is back with a brand-new holiday tune called “Winter Tragedy,” which you can hear right now via its Joel Tabbush-directed music video, which is embedded below.
The song is credited to his project David Newton & Thee Mighty Angels, though he actually plays all of the instruments on the song. The single will be released Dec. 10.
For the music video, though, Newtown rounded up a band of Los Angeles-area musicians to back him, including Brian Reyes (The Little Ones), Zach Amos (The Blood Arm, Faraway Beaches), Christian Owens (VPL, Bad Girlfriend, Faraway Beaches), James Weir (Kissing Tigers, Faraway Beaches).
“The ‘band’ came over to my backyard in Burbank for a couple of hours, we cracked open a case of beer, fired up the snow machine in the 80-degree heat and shot this ‘festive’ video,” Newton says in an email.
Here’s the video:
The release of the new single follows a well-deserved spotlight on the Mighty Lemon Drops via the new KCRW podcast “Bent By Nature: Deirdre O’Donoghue and the Lost SNAP! Archives,” an exploration of the late host’s archive of interviews and in-studio performances through the ’80s and early ’90s.
Listen to the series’ third episode, about the Lemon Drops, and hear the band’s full 1987 appearance:
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Mighty Lemon Drops’ David Newton enlists Eddie Argos of Art Brut for new single
- The Mighty Lemon Drops unearth lost footage of 1988 show at Chicago’s Cabaret Metro
- The Mighty Lemon Drops debut unreleased ‘My Biggest Thrill’ demo off ‘Uptight’ comp
- The Mighty Lemon Drops’ early recordings collected on new ‘Uptight’ compilation
- Free MP3: David Newton (Mighty Lemon Drops) & Thee Mighty Angels, ‘In Love and War’