Pylon, the deeply inventive Athens, Ga., band that married post-punk, new wave, dance and funk, will be celebrated this fall with a new box vinyl box set that collects newly remastered pressings of their first two albums and adds two records of rarities and early recordings.
The Pylon Box is due out Nov. 6 on New West Records on both colored and black vinyl; its release will be accompanied by new standalone CD and vinyl reissues of 1980’s Gyrate and 1983’s Chomp, the first time those classic records have been released on vinyl since the early ’80s.
The box sets and standalone vinyl and CD reissues can be pre-ordered now via New West.
The vinyl box set will include:
- Gyrate and Chomp, remastered from the original tapes
- A new 11-song collection called Extra, featuring singles, B-sides, rarities and live recordings, five of which are previously unreleased
- An LP dubbed Razz Tape, which contains Pylon’s first-ever recording, a previously unreleased, 13-song session that predates their 1979 debut single “Cool”
- A 200-page hardbound book, autographed by the surviving band members, with previously unseen photos and “artifacts from the band’s personal archives,” plus writings by members of R.E.M., The B-52’s, Gang of Four, Sleater-Kinney, Beat Happening, Mission of Burma, Interpol, Sonic Youth, Deerhunter and more
Though a full tracklist has not yet been released, the Pylon Box will contain 47 total tracks, 18 of which are previously unreleased. The colored-vinyl box set will be limited to a run of 500 copies with the four LPs pressed on yellow, sky blue, opaque red, and opaque gray vinyl.
For more on the band and its legacy, head over to this great NPR interview with surviving members Vanessa Briscoe Hay, Curtis Crowe and Michael Lachowski (Randall Bewley died in 2009).
And here’s a video preview of the new releases:
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Vanessa Briscoe Hay’s Pylon Reenactment Society releasing 2 new songs, playing shows
- Vanessa Briscoe Hay’s Pylon Reenactment Society to embark on summer mini-tour
- Premiere: Pylon at Athens PopFest 2005 — watch full hour-long reunion set
- Pylon’s 1983 sophomore album ‘Chomp’ to be reissued with four bonus tracks
- Pylon’s Randy Bewley, 1955-2009