After teasing something since last week, New Order today announced it will debut “Be a Rebel,” the group’s first new single in five years, on BBC’s Radio 2 on Tuesday morning, music that comes as the band should have been on a hugely anticipated U.S. tour with Pet Shop Boys.
The song is New Order’s first new music since the release of 2015’s Music Complete album, and you can hear a teaser via the band’s tweet that’s embedded below.
Listen to the @ZoeTheBall Breakfast Show on @BBCRadio2 tomorrow morning to hear our brand new single, Be A Rebel. pic.twitter.com/7GrAddEXQf
— New Order (@neworder) September 7, 2020
New Order — now slated to tour with Pet Shop Boys this time next year — next month will release what’s being billed as the “definitive edition” of Power, Corruption & Lies, reissuing the 1983 album in a five-disc, multi-format box set that will include 13 previously unreleased tracks.
The band also has restored its beloved 1987 singles compilation Substance to streaming services after a long absence, complete with the second disc of B-sides — you can hear it below.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- New Order’s ‘Power, Corruption & Lies’ to receive ‘definitive’ 5-disc box set reissue
- New Order and Pet Shop Boys announce rescheduled 2021 dates for their ‘Unity Tour’
- Joy Division reissues unveiled as bandmates mark 40th anniversary of Ian Curtis’s death
- New Order to release ‘The John Peel Session 1982’ EP on vinyl for Record Store Day
- New Order to release live album of ‘synth orchestra’ performance — hear ‘Sub-culture’
Substance (albeit a best of) is one of the best albums of the 80s. Pure gold!
New song is very Technique with the optimism of “Krafty” love the positivity!