The Cure, “Show”
If there’s one thing you can depend on with Record Store Day, it’s that Robert Smith really loves picture discs. This year, he’s offering up a new 2LP picture disc of The Cure’s 1993 live album Show, the first time it’s being released on vinyl in the U.S. and the first reissue anywhere since its original release.
Rhino Records will release the new pressing, remastered by Smith and Miles Showell at Abbey Road Studios in London, on April 22 at U.S. and U.K. independent retailers participating in Record Store Day. According to the U.S. release listing, there will be 10,000 copies in this country.
Show is one of two live albums The Cure released in late 1993 chronicling the band’s tour in support of the previous year’s Wish album. (The less-poppy Paris was the other live album.) The set included on Show was recorded at concerts on July 18 and 19, 1992, at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan.
The live set was never released on vinyl in the U.S., though it did receive 2LP pressings in 1993 in Europe and other parts of the world. The new pressing, the first-ever as a picture disc, includes the full 18-song tracklist that was issued on double CD and vinyl outside the U.S. (Here in the U.S., the band only released a single-disc version of Show on CD with 14 songs; the five cut songs were instead relegated to the Sideshow EP.)
Now in its 16th year of celebrating independent music retailers, Record Store Day is back to a single day — April 22 — following the pandemic-era “drops” that spread the event over multiple months the last couple years.
Head over to recordstoreday.com and recordstoreday.co.uk to see full lists of exclusive, limited-run and “RSD First” releases along with participating independent record stores in the U.S. and the U.K., respectively.
And here’s the full tracklist for the new Cure reissue:
The Cure, Show 2LP Record Store Day release
4. “Pictures Of You”
1. “Just Like Heaven”
2. “Fascination Street”
3. “A Night Like This”
5. “Doing The Unstuck”
1. “The Walk”
2. “Let’s Go To Bed”
3. “Friday I’m In Love”
4. “Inbetween Days”
5. “The Edge Of The Deep Green Sea”
1. “Never Enough”
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Cure’s deluxe reissue of “Wish” to include 21 unreleased demos, “Lost Wishes” EP
- The Cure’s new album “Songs of a Lost World” could be out by September
- Robert Smith says “MY DESIRE TO RELEASE A NEW ALBUM IS OVERWHELMING!”
- The Cure unveils 44-date European tour in 2022, but don’t expect U.S. dates before 2023
- The Cure turns Pasadena Daydream into ‘the best day of the summer’ with scorching set
- The Cure to release 6-disc ‘40 Live: Curaetion-25 + Anniversary’ audio/video box set
- The absolute best of The Cure: All 225 songs ranked by Slicing Up Eyeballs’ readers