Captain Sensible in The Damned’s video for “Beware of the Clown”
The Damned are back with the second single off of the punk legends’ upcoming 12th album Darkadelic, a song called “Beware of the Clown” that you can hear below via a music video starring Captain Sensible as a buffoonish prime minister.
The Thomas Mitchener-produced Darkadelic will be released via earMUSIC on April 28 on CD, vinyl and digital formats, and is available for pre-order. It’s the band’s first album since 2018’s Evil Spirits.
The new single was written by Sensible and was meant “to deride what he calls the ‘conveyer belt of bozos’ who lead us,” according to the band’s publicists. The track evokes the band’s 1982 album Strawberries and 1985’s Phantasmagoria, though frontman Dave Vanian says, “It wasn’t intended to. It just happened.”
The new video, like the clip for first single “The Invisible Man,” was directed by Martin Gooch.
The band — the current lineup includes Vanian, Sensible, Paul Gray, Monty Oxymoron and new drummer William Granville-Taylor — is on tour in Europe through late April.
Check out the new single and tour dates below.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- The Damned announce new album “Darkadelic,” hear first single “The Invisible Man”
- The Alarm, members of The Damned, Blondie, Sex Pistols set for new David Bowie tribute LP
- R.E.M., Sonic Youth, The Damned, Oingo Boingo, Squeeze may have lost tapes in UMG fire
- The Damned to bring tour in support of new album ‘Evil Spirits’ to the U.S. this fall
- Premiere: Rat Scabies, ‘Floating’ — off former The Damned drummer’s debut album
- The Damned return with 1st new album in a decade — hear ‘Standing on the Edge of Tomorrow’
That’s a lectern not a podium. Thanks!