David Byrne back in the Big Suit
David Byrne slipped back into the Big Suit in a fun promo released today for film studio A24’s upcoming rerelease of Jonathan Demme’s classic Talking Heads concert film “Stop Making Sense,” which has been newly remastered in 4K and will be screened in theaters worldwide.
The theatrical release date for this new version of the 1984 concert film — billed as “Stop Making Sense 2023” in the trailer — has not yet been announced.
On top of that, though, new digital and double-vinyl editions of the soundtrack will be released Aug. 18, expanded to include the previously unreleased tracks “Cities” and “Big Business/I Zimbra,” which were included in the original home video release of the film, but then removed and relegated instead as bonus tracks in the 1999 re-release and subsequent DVD and video releases.
The new vinyl pressing will come on two LPs and feature a reproduction of the original booklet from the 1984 limited-edition pressing, with additional pages of never-before-seen photos and new liner notes by Byrne, Tina Weymouth, Chris Frantz and Jerry Harrison. It can be pre-ordered now from Amazon.
Check out the full tracklist — and the new trailer — below.
Talking Heads, Stop Making Sense
1. “Psycho Killer”
3. “Thank You for Sending Me an Angel”
4. “Found a Job”
5. “Slippery People”
6. “Cities” *
7. “Burning Down the House”
8. “Life During Wartime”
9. “Making Flippy Floppy”
11. “What a Day That Was”
12. “This Must Be the Place (Naïve Melody)”
13. “Once in a Lifetime”
14. “Big Business/I Zimbra” *
15. “Genius of Love”
16. “Girlfriend is Better”
17. “Take Me to the River”
18. “Crosseyed and Painless”
* Previously unreleased
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Watch: David Byrne puts on hot dog fingers to perform “This Is a Life” at Oscars
- David Byrne, Tom Tom Club and Jerry Harrison’s 1981 albums to be reissued on Record Store Day
- Jerry Harrison and Adrian Belew expand their Talking Heads’ “Remain in Light” tour
- Q&A: Chris Frantz talks Talking Heads, Tom Tom Club and new book ‘Remain in Love’
- David Byrne performs ‘Once in a Lifetime’ and ‘Toe Jam’ on SNL, joins ‘Airport Sushi’ sketch
- Watch David Byrne induct a band named after a Talking Heads song into the Rock Hall