The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2023 will include performers Kate Bush, Rage Against the Machine, Sheryl Crow, Missy Elliot, George Michael, Willie Nelson and The Spinners — but the first-time hybrid nomination of Joy Division and New Order didn’t make the cut.
Other 2023 inductees include DJ Kool Herc and Link Wray for musical influence and Chaka Kahn, Al Kooper and Bernie Taupin for musical excellence. “Soul Train” creator Don Cornelius will receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award.
The other 2023 nominees that didn’t make the cut include A Tribe Called Quest, Soundgarden, The White Stripes, Cyndi Lauper, Warren Zevon and Iron Maiden.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony is scheduled for Nov. 3 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. Organizers say the event will return to Cleveland, site of the Rock Hall, in 2024.
Here are this year’s inductees:
Rage Against the Machine
Musical Influence Award
DJ Kool Herc
Musical Excellence Award
Ahmet Ertegun Award
Artists are eligible for nomination into the Rock Hall beginning 25 years after their first release. Kate Bush previously was nominated in 2017, 2021 and 2022, and her latest bid to enter the Rock Hall follows last year’s burst of popularity following the use of “Running Up That Hill” in Netflix’s “Stranger Things.”
Of her induction, Bush wrote on her website today:
I have to admit I’m completely shocked at the news of being inducted into the Hall of Fame! It’s something I just never thought would happen. Thank you so much to everyone who voted for me. It means a great deal that you would think of me. It’s such a huge honour. Now as part of the initiation ceremony I get to find out about the secret handshake… there is one, right?
This was the first nomination for Joy Division and New Order, the band Joy Davison became following the suicide of frontman Ian Curtis. The nominated members included Curtis, Gillian Gilbert, Peter Hook, Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris, according to the Rock Hall website.
Last year, the Rock Hall inducted Duran Duran and Eurythmics, while The Go-Go’s and Kraftwerk were part of the Class of 2021. In 2020, Depeche Mode and Nine Inch Nails were admitted into the Rock Hall and, in 2019, The Cure was inducted alongside Roxy Music, Janet Jackson, Radiohead and more.
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Joy Division/New Order, Kate Bush among 2023 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees
- Duran Duran, Eurythmics, Pat Benatar among 2022 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees
- Kate Bush, Duran Duran, Devo, Eurythmics among 2022 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees
- Kate Bush, Devo, The Go-Go’s among 2021 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nominees
- Depeche Mode inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — watch their acceptance speech
- Nine Inch Nails inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame — watch Trent Reznor’s speech
- Depeche Mode, Nine Inch Nails, Whitney Houston to enter Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
- The Cure to enter Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside Roxy Music, Radiohead and more