Danny Elfman | Photo by Jonathan Williamson
Famed film composer and born-again rocker Danny Elfman will perform the “From Boingo to Batman to Big Mess and Beyond!” show that he debuted at the Coachella festival last year at two just-announced concerts in Southern California this summer.
Elfman will play amphitheater dates in Chula Vista, near San Diego, on Aug. 3 and Irvine — home to his former band Oingo Boingo’s most hallowed Dia de los Muertos multi-night stands — on Aug. 5.
Pre-sales for both shows begin at 10 a.m. Pacific on Tuesday, May 9, with general on-sales following at 10 a.m. Pacific on Friday, May 12, all via livenation.com.
Elfman debuted the show at Coachella in 2022, mixing orchestral scores from “Batman,” “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” “Edward Scissorhands,” “The Simpsons” and more with Oingo Boingo classics — including “Just Another Day” and “Nothing to Fear (But Fear Itself)” — as well as material from his 2021 solo album Big Mess. He reprised the show with a couple performances just before Halloween last year at the Hollywood Bowl.
Whether Elfman plans more performances outside of Boingo-friendly Southern California remains to be seen.
Danny Elfman: From Boingo to Batman to Big Mess and Beyond!
Aug. 3: North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre, Chula Vista, CA
Aug. 5: FivePoint Amphitheatre, Irvine, CA
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Danny Elfman traces his taste in music for Amoeba’s “What’s In My Bag?” series
- Oingo Boingo’s Danny Elfman gets ‘Happy’ with first new solo music in 33 years
- Danny Elfman re-records Oingo Boingo’s ‘Running on a Treadmill’ while in isolation
- Watch: Oingo Boingo’s Danny Elfman, Steve Bartek reunite to perform ‘Dead Man’s Party’
- Vintage Video: Oingo Boingo spices up ‘Disneyland’s Summer Vacation Party’ in 1986