The second season of Elvis Costello’s excellent rock ‘n’ talk show “Spectacle” premiered this week on the Sundance Channel with a pair of very special guests: U2′s Bono and The Edge. True to form, the host and guests took the stage together and separately, most raucously on a show-closing mash-up of the former’s “Pump It Up” and the latters’ “Get On Your Boots” (see video above), a fitting pairing since the No Line on the Horizon single was widely derided as a knock-off of Costello’s classic upon its release earlier this year.
On the show, the U2 duo also performed All That You Can’t Leave Behind hit “Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of” with Costello and his band, The Imposters (and with Elvis, not The Edge, on lead guitar, no less), and Zooropa favorite “Stay (Faraway, So Close!)” by themselves. Backed by longtime Costello sidemen Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas, Bono also tackled “Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad,” a tune he wrote for Frank Sinatra in the ’90s, and which U2 recorded as a B-side. And Costello and The Imposters vamped through Achtung Baby classic “Mysterious Ways.” (Full video after the jump.)
Equally intriguing is what didn’t make the cut. According to this report from @U2, Costello and his band also performed Zooropa gem “Dirty Day” and Pop’s “Please,” while the whole ensemble — Bono, The Edge, Costello and The Imposters — played what’s perhaps Costello’s signature tune, “Alison.” Hopefully those will see the light of day.
See more video of Elvis Costello, Bono and The Edge after the jump…
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Elvis Costello’s ‘Live at Hollywood High’ due in January
- Video: U2 live at the Rose Bowl via YouTube
- Video: Stephen Colbert sings ‘Cheap Reward’ with Elvis Costello
- U2 tour dates: 360° trek returns to North American stadiums in June and July 2010
- John Peel box set to feature unreleased session tracks by The Cure, Elvis Costello
- Video: U2 breaks out ‘Ultraviolet (Light My Way)’ for ‘Saturday Night Live’
- Elvis Costello’s ‘Live at the El Mocambo’ to kick off ‘Costello Show’ live CD series
- Elvis Costello reteams with T Bone Burnett for ‘Secret’ new Americana record