With its European tour now over, U2 is set to issue a new limited-edition, vinyl-only live EP next month called Wide Awake in Europe — adapting the title and cover concept from 1985′s stopgap Wide Awake in America — that will feature the first-ever release of fan-favorite track “Mercy.”
Limited to 5,000 copies, the three-track 12-inch will be released by Universal Music on Nov. 26 through independent record shops in the U.S. as a Record Store Day-like promotion on the “Black Friday” shopping day following Thanksgiving.
According to online retailer The Ideal Copy, the limited-edition EP is a “special release put together by the people who do Record Store Day. There’s about 40-plus items that are exclusive or early release for indie stores for ‘Black Friday.’”
For fans, the draw of Wide Awake in Europe — which also includes live versions of No Line on the Horizon’s “I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight” and “Moment of Surrender” — is the debut of “Mercy,” a track recorded during the How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb sessions that later leaked online. U2 debuted the song in September during the European leg of its 360° Tour, and has played it several time since (see video below).
See tracklist for U2′s ‘Wide Awake in Europe’ and hear ‘Mercy’ after the jump…
Tracklist: U2, Wide Awake in Europe
1. “Mercy” (Live) [Recorded in Brussels, 9/21/10]
1. “I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight” (Live) [Recorded in Dublin, 7/27/09]
2. “Moment of Surrender” (Live) [Recorded in Paris, 9/18/10]
PREVIOUSLY ON SLICING UP EYEBALLS
- Video: U2 plays ‘Joshua Tree’ B-side ‘Spanish Eyes’ for first time in a decade
- U2 remastering ‘Achtung Baby’ in Los Angeles for possible reissue
- Video: U2 debuts new song ‘Every Breaking Wave,’ announces Australian dates
- Video: U2 debuts ‘Glastonbury,’ ‘North Star,’ ‘Return of the Stingray Guitar’
- Audio: Listen to U2’s ‘Soon,’ outtake from ‘No Line on the Horizon’ sessions